When it comes to George Bernard Shaw quotes, it's no wonder there are an abundance to choose from. After all, the man was a playwright, novelist, political activist and a critic of the arts all rolled into one. If there's one thing to be said about George Bernard Shaw, it's that he had quite a bit to say during his lifetime. This month, let's celebrate his birthday with these 16 famous George Bernard Shaw quotes.
1. "A day's work is a day's work, neither more nor less, and the man who does it needs a day's sustenance, a night's repose and due leisure, whether he be painter or ploughman."
2. "A fool's brain digests philosophy into folly, science into superstition, and art into pedantry. Hence University education."
3. "Americans adore me and will go on adoring me until I say something nice about them."
4. "If history repeats itself, and the unexpected always happens, how incapable must Man be of learning from experience."
5. "Lack of money is the root of all evil."
6. "A genius can't be forced; nor can you make an ape an alderman."
7. "A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
8. "Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance."
9. "Choose silence of all virtues, for by it you hear other men's imperfections, and conceal your own."
10. "You see things; and you say, 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say, 'Why not?"
11. "If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange these apples then you and I will still each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange these ideas, then each of us will have two ideas."
12. "The only man who behaves sensibly is my tailor; he takes my measurements anew every time he sees me, while all the rest go on with their old measurements and expect me to fit them."
13. "We are ashamed of everything that is real about us; ashamed of ourselves, of our relatives, of our incomes, of our accents, of our opinions, of our experience, just as we are ashamed of our naked skins."
14. "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world: the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."
15. "Chess is a foolish expedient for making idle people believe they are doing something very clever when they are only wasting their time."
16. "When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth."
Some of his comments have been humorous, some downright insulting, but one thing about all George Bernard Shaw quotes is true -- deep within all of us is the knowledge that they ring true. While this extraordinary gentleman may no longer be with us, George Bernard Shaw quotes are here to stay, and thankfully, will remain here for us to learn from.
Article Source: http://www.abcarticledirectory.com
For more famous quotes, check out the popular famous quotes section at Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.
Related Videos on Culture and Society
Did You Like/Dislike This Article? Give It YOUR Rating!
Please Rate this Article
5 out of 54 out of 53 out of 52 out of 51 out of 5
No Ratings Yet. Be The First To Rate This Article
Still Searching? Last Chance to find what you're looking for with a Google Custom Search!
Or.... You can search this site using our Bing Custom Search!
Powered by ABC Article Directory