Marilyn Monroe is truly an American legend, so it's only fitting that we remember the day of her birth with some famous Marilyn Monroe quotes. Whether you love her for her beauty, her intriguing mystery, her honesty, or the fact that she was a size 16 and still managed to acquire superstar status (that's right ladies, a size 16), these quotes are the perfect way to honor her on her birthday.
1. "If I'd observed all the rules, I'd never have got anywhere."
2. "I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it."
3. "Creativity has got to start with humanity and when you're a human being, you feel, you suffer."
4. "In Hollywood a girl's virtue is much less important than her hairdo. You're judged by how you look, not by what you are. Hollywood's a place where they'll pay you a thousand dollars for kiss, and fifty cents for your soul."
5. "No one ever told me I was pretty when I was a little girl. All little girls should be told they're pretty, even if they aren't."
6. "I knew I belonged to the public and to the world, not because I was talented or even beautiful, but because I had never belonged to anything or anyone else."
7. "Everybody is always tugging at you. They'd all like a sort of chunk out of you. I don' think they realize it, but it's like 'grrr do this, grr do that...' But you do want to stay intact--intact and on two feet."
8. "Fame is fickle and I know it. It has its compensations, but it also has its drawbacks and I've experienced them both."
9. "I have feelings too. I am still human. All I want is to be loved, for myself and for my talent."
10. "Dreaming about being an actress, is more exciting then being one."
11. "I was never used to being happy, so that wasn't something I ever took for granted. You see, I was brought up differently from the average American child because the average child is brought up expecting to be happy."
12. "My illusions didn't have anything to do with being a fine actress. I knew how third rate I was. I could actually feel my lack of talent, as if it were cheap clothes I was wearing inside. But, my God, how I wanted to learn, to change, to improve!"
13. "People had a habit of looking at me as if I were some kind of mirror instead of a person. They didn't see me, they saw their own lewd thoughts, then they white-masked themselves by calling me the lewd one."
14. "I want to grow old without facelifts... I want to have the courage to be loyal to the face I've made. Sometimes I think it would be easier to avoid old age, to die young, but then you'd never complete your life, would you? You'd never wholly know you."
When we lost Marilyn Monroe (or should we say Norma Jeane Mortenson?) we lost a truly unique soul. While her death remains somewhat of a mystery, one thing is certain -- she left us much too soon. Let's remember her on her birthday with these fourteen Marilyn Monroe quotes.
Article Source: http://www.abcarticledirectory.com
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.
Related Videos on Arts
Did You Like/Dislike This Article? Give It YOUR Rating!
Please Rate this Article
5 out of 54 out of 53 out of 52 out of 51 out of 5
Total Ratings = 1 | Rating = 5/5
Still Searching? Last Chance to find what you're looking for with a Google Custom Search!
Or.... You can search this site using our Bing Custom Search!
Powered by ABC Article Directory