Once in a rare while a man comes along who changes the world for the better, and that's why we're going to celebrate Lincoln's upcoming birthday with 14 great Abraham Lincoln quotes. Let us reflect on the words of this world-changing gentleman and remember who he was, what he stood for and why we still owe him so very much today.
1. "If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what's said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference."
2. "Those who deny freedom to others, deserve it not for themselves; and, under a just God, can not long retain it."
3. "In giving freedom to the slave, we assure freedom to the free -- honorable alike in what we give, and what we preserve. We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth. Other means may succeed; this could not fail. The way is plain, peaceful, generous, just -- a way which, if followed, the world will forever applaud, and God must forever bless."
4. "Whenever I hear any one arguing for slavery I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally."
5. "The demon of intemperance ever seems to have delighted in sucking the blood of genius and of generosity."
6. "A house divided against itself cannot stand."
7. "Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose - and you allow him to make war at pleasure."
8. "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
9. "Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world."
10. "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
11. "Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing."
12. "Hold on with a bulldog grip, and chew and choke as much as possible."
13. "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will."
14. "I want it said of me by those who knew me best, that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow."
What a great man. If only there were more in the world like him. Let these 14 Abraham Lincoln quotes remind us of who he was, what he stood for and who we are, as a nation, because of him.
Article Source: http://www.abcarticledirectory.com
For more famous quotes, check out the popular Famous-Quotes-And-Quotations.com, a website that specializes in 'Top 10' lists of quotations in dozens of categories.
Related Videos on Culture and Society
Did You Like/Dislike This Article? Give It YOUR Rating!
Please Rate this Article
5 out of 54 out of 53 out of 52 out of 51 out of 5
No Ratings Yet. Be The First To Rate This Article
Still Searching? Last Chance to find what you're looking for with a Google Custom Search!
Or.... You can search this site using our Bing Custom Search!
Powered by ABC Article Directory